1. trapeze silhouettes and oversized tops- as the pants stay skinny, tops are getting more voluminous (pants soon to follow!). flared shapes in jackets, tops, and dresses are the thing for spring. adopt this trend inexpensively by checking out thrift stores and eBay for jackets and minidresses from the 60’s or adopt your boyfriend’s brightest tees, tuck them in casually and wear them with your skinny jeans and sexy heels or flats. here are a few of my favorite pieces illustrating this trend:
cropped trapeze jacket from Osman Yousefzada
lavendar swing coat from Proenza for Target
swingy babydoll from DKNY
voluminous short-sleeved belted trench from Marni
printed mini dress from Chloe
2. opaque tights/leggings and unexpected color – time to stock up on knit, lace, metallic and brightly colored tights and other bold accessories. this is another trend that is very easy to buy into as accessories like brightly colored necklaces and tights are relatively inexpensive. be creative and don’t worry about pairing a blue belt with yellow shoes. big colors this season are all over the rainbow. royal blue, fire engine red, canary yellow and bright lavenders. navy, black and white are sticking around too.
- oversized yellow boy tee with royal blue belt & red shoes by Proenza for Target
- white coat with red dress and peacock blue tights by Trovata
- black coat and mini dress with red leggings and red wellies by Y3
more spring trends to watch out for:
- babydoll and minidress waistlines are moving from last season’s empire to above the bust (yoke-style) or slightly down between the empire and natural waist.
- platform shoes are sticking around, but they’ll be more sculptural and chunky for spring. also hold on to those flat sandals from last year, they can now be paired with your skinny jeans or bermudas and worn with your babydoll top.
- and finally, crop some of your skinny jeans to ankle length to wear with heels or platforms!
-photo credits to Style.com and Target