need a comfy chic outfit you can wear to a music fest or an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet that won’t cramp your style? i still love the oversized trapeze/tent dress. so effortless! throw it on with a pair of tights and your sexiest flats or heels, et voila! instant 60′s hippie-glam-chic! that’s how i’d do it, but let’s see how they do it in other parts of the globe…
here it is in NY City:
adding a structured, cropped jacket or fitted vest is a great way to make the silhouette look less mumu-ish. so CUTE!
we fashion bloggers are a playful bunch. we giggle and spam, chortle and comment, chuckle and trade links. and now we play virtual tag. wednesday i was tagged by Shopalicious and yesterday by PinkRockCandy. so at the risk of being a virtual party pooper, i better choke up 7 extremely boring personal facts about myself. enjoy.
1. i work part time at a sound studio for tv and film. they call vancouver “hollywood north,” but its more of a mecca for bad movies. i’m sure a few great movies have been made here, but besides the Neverending Story, i can’t think of one. it’s a fun job, especially when i get to meet famous people. since i’ve worked here i’ve crossed paths with Jean-Claude Van Damme, Nora Jones, Evangeline Lilly, Pam Grier, Sarah McLaughlan, Jennifer Beal, Peter Greenaway and Douglas Coupland, to name a few. i started here a week or two after Chloe Sevigny came in. my one true regret in life.
2. i get mad crushes on the most random celebs. Brad Pitt? meh. Clooney? blah. in junior high i was completely mad over Robert Sean Leonard who i’m pretty sure is gay. Eve and i later ended up meeting him at an off-broadway venue in NY when we were 17 and i nearly lost my shit. after that it was Tim Roth, a hawk-nosed badass brit who mostly plays creepy assholes. right now my absolute favorite actors are Phillip Seymour Hoffman and John C. Reilly. LOVE THEM. more than anyone else (oh except for Gael Garcia Bernal, i do have a sex drive after all), if they walked into my work, i would probably pee myself. ok, take out the probably and replace it with MOST DEFINITELY. guess i just have a thing for really good acting.
3. including Eve and 2 step-siblings, i have 6 brothers and sisters. needless to say, i know how to pinch my way out of a chokehold, but i will lose in a tickle fight every time. btw, my older sister Summer has an awesome parenting blog! check it out for adorable photos of cute kids doing good deeds!
4. i ain’t afraid of no creepy-crawlies. i love frogs most of all, snakes are wicked, mice are adorable and spiders eat up all those damn mosquitos. when Eve and i were in jr. high, our science teacher got us to scrape the rotting snakeflesh off the bones of a dead 8 foot burmese python. we did it and were paid generously in pizza.
5. yoga is my favorite. i’m lazy as a bump on a toad when it comes to exercise, but i adore a good yoga class. i was always a completely unflexible klutz up until last year, but now i can touch my nose to my knees and do full upward bow like no-buddha’s business. still klutzy though.
6. i’m a complete music and movie geek. i will watch movies and listen to music all day long if i could. my favorite movie of all time is Magnolia and i’d name off a long list of all my favorite directors if it wouldn’t bore you to tears. i discover new music that i love on an almost a daily basis. right now my iTunes playlist is consisting of a lot of Jeff Tweedy, Grizzly Bear, Chad VanGaalen, Odetta, Otis Redding and Vetiver.
7. i’m pretty good at cutting hair. i cut hair for my friends, my siblings, my parents and myself. it all started when i wanted a pixie cut when i was 15 and no matter where i went, nobody would cut it as short as i wanted. they just kept giving me shorter and shorter bowl cuts. so i took matters into my own hands.
i’ve never been a big fan of Lori’s Shoes of Chicago. i’ve never really wanted to buy half of their inventory even though i can barely afford groceries. i don’t really like beautiful comfy, fashion-forward footwear at low low prices. not really my thing. you know me. i like rubber platform flipflops. and crock knock-offs.
i suppose i could be convinced to look modern gladiator glam in these AMAZING SANDALS…
i swear all i wanna wear all the time is dresses. so cool and comfy and feminine. i think maybe my pop-punk tomboy high school days are over. with a vengeance.
i found this awesome shop called LadyLanguage (not so sure about the name, sounds like a lesbian romance novel or something) via the budget fashionista’s sale section and i’m loving their 75% off sale and their prettypretty vintage-y dresses. you can use the coupon code “BUDGET10″ for an extra 10% off too!
bohemian print dress $19.90! (medium out of stock)
gorgeous mixed prints! pleated waistband complete with sash! this is the jeebus of cotton print sundresses. i want 6, please!
blue jersey swing dress $24
jersey is the fabric of the gods and cobalt is my favorite color of the season. and i’m just gahgah over the cut.
Everybody knows about airbrushing and photoshopping, yet everyone is still attempting to attain that idealized self. Well, us painfully hipsters refuse to allow the capitalistic machine tell us what to think. We all know what Faith Hill really looks like:
Now there’s plenty to be jealous of here: her beautiful smile, her lovely skin tone, her sparkling eyes, but you feel like you could wear a bikini around her and still make eye contact with people in the room. She could be someone we know. She looks great, for a human.
Planethiltron.com decided to do the reverse and photoshop celebrities into real people. Here are a few of my favorites:
The other twins
You may want to bookmark this post for the next time you look into the full-length and say anything but, “I am the hottest bitch I know.”
nothing makes me feel better on a rainy day than watching The Perfect Ones eat runway. repeatedly and thoroughly. but seriously though, modelling is HARD. here’s a great video of the entertaining humiliation from my favorite canadian fashion reporter, Jeanne Beker and her show, FT Fashion Television!
well, i shouldn’t say NOTHING makes me feel better than model humiliation. a good DISCOUNT is right up there:
the gorgeous Fabricio over there at Waterloo is offering all of you beautiful hipsters a 10% discount (coupon code: PAINFULLYHIP) AND a buy 3, get one FREE offer on his badass t-shirts and shortshorts! Hallelujah!