I’m terribly sorry for being mostly MIA these last coupla weeks, and not in a good way. I’ve been all over the map, burrowing my way through a glut of writing assignments, and completely and totally camera-less. This fact was especially stingy through my recent Agent Ribbons tour… Those ladies know how to DRESS. We took Farmington, MO by storm, I tell you what!
Of course, I have been thinking about fashion. Always. And lately I’ve been thinking about bondage-inspired ankle boots. About.com asked me to write a few pieces for them and here is my latest.
In past decades, le dépêche mode (fast fashion) was our enemy when investing in the trendiest boots. Who wants to adopt an expensive trend that might stale at any moment? Ankle boots, however, have been huge for the last several years and show no sign of being set free from their prominence. In fact, the latest ankle boot trends show the opposite sentiment: a tendency towards bondage. If you’d like to dabble in this “fetish” without breaking the bank, here are my top 10 picks that feature a plethora of buckles, harnesses, straps, grommets, laces, studs, cuffs, and even cages. Let’s get chic!
1. Strappy Buckle Bootie – Overdose on buckles! Why not? These easy-entry suede boots with a back zipper are only $26.40.
2. Engineer Ankle Boots – Harness boots with a rustic flavor and unique gold studs.
3. Leatherette zipper caged heel – This style walks the line between Yves St Laurent’s famed cage heel and Alexander McQueen’s motorcycle zipper bootie. Either way, you’ve got this trend under lock and key for only $25.20!
4. Black Patent Lace-Up Ankle Boots – Simultaneously practical and daring, these stunnahs are wearable, warm and only $44.
5. Bunny Ankle Boots – Paired with black skinny jeans and a shrunken leather jacket, anyone could pull off these exaggerated cuffs with aplomb.
Forever 21, $27.80
6. Crinkle Leatherette Lace-up Bootie – Rugged styling with ultra feminine details, like tassels, macramé and a sky-high stiletto heel for a mere $29.40!
7. Multi Strap Platform Bootie – Edward Scissorhands himself might covet this boot, Just imagine how nicely they would toughen up that floral body-con dress you thrifted last week.
8. Greta Wedge Boot – These boots are probably my tamest choice, but only because the last pair whipped them into submission. I reckon these beauties will still be chic next year, so you’ll get your $32.80 worth and then some.
9. Finella Bootie – Wear this corseted peep toe with layers of tights to keep your toes warm in cooler climes.
10. Zipper Cuff Peep Toe Bootie – Like a motorcycle jacket for your feet! What’s not to love?